Not far from here is Walthamstow Street Market ⇒ which dates from 1885 and is the longest street market in Europe. Also in Walthamsow is the William Morris Gallery ⇐ and just behind that is beautiful Lloyd Park ⇐.
This spot is up St Marys Rd or by bus up Church Hill. The sign post is rather whimsical as the only place open to the general public is the Vestry Museum and the church (for services and events). There is of course a pub with a garden.
Down the hill is Walthamstow. Behind the tree is the Vestry House Museum (in another post). To the right is one of the Alms Houses.
The Ancient House. And, there’s that pub again. Did I mention that it has a garden ?
And a n ancient Pillar Box for post.
St Mary’s Church ⇒ is open for services and a number of events. I managed to sneak in while they were preparing for a concert.
The above can be expanded for reading. Click on the image and then again to expand.
There wasn’t a lot of stained glass but it was of good quality.
So it’s goodbye from sunny (sometimes) Walthamstow
William Morris (1834 to 1896) ⇒ was a writer, illustrator, textile/wallpaper designer, a social activist and founder of the Kelmscott Press. He had a considerable influence upon design during and after the Victorian period and was a close associate of Rossetti, Webb, Ruskin and Burne-Jones.
The gallery is free to enter and contains additional works by Burne-Jones. It is not a huge collection but there is a lot of educational material and some artifacts with a real wow factor. In addition the gallery provides an online collection, exhibitions (Mary Morris from October 2017 to January 2018), workshops and masterclasses. Please see the gallery website ⇒ . The easiest way to get to the gallery is at the bottom of this page.
More of William Morris can be found at the Red House ⇐ in Bexleheath (south-east of London) where he founded the decorative arts company, Morris, Marshal & Faulkner & Co which included wives and other family members.
The above wallpaper was for Queen Victoria and required 66 separate woodcuts (that’s how it was done) for each section.
The stained glass is by Edward Burne-Jones
For a closer look please right-click on the image, select “open in a new tab” and then left click in the tab/image to enlarge.
Ruskin advised aspiring artists to copy a work by Albert Dürer “until you can’t look at anything else”. William Morris and Edward Burne-Jones spent hours with the above Knight, Death and the Devil.
The easiest way to get to the gallery is by traveling to Tottenham Hale Rail Station (or Blackhorse Road Staion) and then take the number 123 bus which stops right outside the gallery pictured below.
Behind the gallery is the gallery garden and further on is the very pretty Lloyd Park ⇐. Together with the free gallery it makes a very pleasant day out. 🙂
Edward Lynley Sambourne and his wife (Marion) took residence of 18 Stafford Terrace in Kensington in 1874. The Sambourne family and descendants maintained the Victorian style and content. The house was taken over and maintained by the Victorian Society and then the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea in 1989.
The website ⇒ is informative, interesting and shows much of Edward Lylynley Sambourne’s work as an illustrator. There are a variety of tours available and open house (when photography is allowed) on some afternoons. Hence the website is an essential read for those who wish to visit and may wish to note there are four flights of stairs without a lift.
The website is also used by Leighton House. An interesting place but photography is not allowed (2017).
For 40 years Edward Lynley Sambourne was notable contributor to the comedic and satirical magazine Punch ⇒ (its website includes a large gallery of cartoons). The house at 18 Stafford Terrace is full of drawings, artworks and some very fine stained glass. He also created the earliest draft drawings for the illustrated version of the Rev Charles Kingsley’s book the Water-Babies. More of Edward Lynley Sambourne’s work ⇒ as shown on Flickr.
The house and its atmosphere has been so carefully preserved that it is like walking back in time, although one can only enter the edge of each room. Enjoy ~ 🙂
. . and goodnight all. 🙂
17 Pics. Canterbury Cathedral ⇒ was founded in 597 by Augustine and enlarged during the 11th and 12th centuries. The cathedral became notable when archbishop Thomas Becket ⇒ was murdered there by followers of Henry II. Becket was later cannonised as a martyr and Canterbury became a place of pilgrimage.
Canterbury became yet more famous when Chaucer wrote The Canterbury Tales ⇒ in 1386.
The gate to the cathedral precincts.
The entrance leads into the Nave and one is struck by the huge size and antiquity of the cathedral. The ability to construct on this scale without the assistance of modern technology is awe inspiring.
Looking back from the far end of the Nave.
Continuing further there is the entrance to the Quire and Trinity Chapel.
Some of the stained glass along the way.
The Quire and Trinity Chapel.
The tomb of Archbishop Chichelle. There are many tombs in the cathedral including Henry IV and Edward the Black Prince. Archbishop Chicelle is the most ornate. Thomas Becket was buried beneath Trinity Chapel but his bones were destroyed during the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the reign of Henry VIII .
It seems that graffiti is nothing new, although it is always worth taking a close look in old churches and buildings for Witch Marks ⇒, which are not quite as they sound.
AND don’t miss out on the Cloisters with their extraordinary ceilings (I did). They are at the back of the cathedral. Here are some Google pictures ⇒ .
Thanks for visiting Freed From Time and there are a lot venues at About Canterbury ⇐.