Climate Change – Making a Real Difference.
What Has Changed and How You Can Help
On Monday 22nd September 2014, the Rockefeller Brothers Fund pledges that it will divest itself of all fossil fuel assets. It is reported that 650 individuals and 180 institutions have joined this pursuit as part of the worldwide Divest-Invest platform which began seven years ago. This is surely a death knell for those companies and politicians who do not push forward with green technology and policy.
The situation is beginning to change. I believe it has come about because all the elements for change are now in place. We have much to thank the genuine climatologist for. They have for decades faced an uphill struggle, often against personal abuse in attempts to discredit them. There is now sufficient awareness to have raised simultaneous protest right across the world, with a report of 400,000 attendees in Manhattan alone. And, the involvement of the the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, well respected statesman Kofi Annan and the Divest-Invest program.
Making a Difference
There remains only one essential element to maintain the impetus. That is us. Now we really can make a difference. The whole issue is driven by the public opinion that affects politicians and the consumerism that drives commerce. So, be part of wave in the ocean not just an isolated drop. You can:-
- Find greener suppliers here⇐. Switch and, most importantly, tell them why. Trends make business plans which are a prime mover of change.
- Change any investments, and tell the companies why.
- Write to your democratic representatives both local and central and voice your concerns.
- Insist the climatologist and engineers decide what is necessary and the economist provide instead of hinder.
- There are various schemes that make it possible for your computer’s down time to be used to run climate models. Such as Climate Prediction Net⇒.
- Support Greenpeace⇒, Friends of the Earth⇒, Peoples Climate⇒ (the rally organizers) or any other committed organization. Many people have committed years to help us. They need and deserve our help.
- Be knowledgeable and a source of solid information for friends and colleagues.
- Pass it on by blogs, emails, tweets, shares and word of mouth. Be knowledgeable and a source of solid information for friends and colleagues.
Do any of one these things and you will have made a difference. There are still those who wish us to believe that we can’t. It was always a lie. To paraphrase FDR, there is nothing to be hopeless about except hopelessness itself. You can surprise and shock those who thought we were complacent and you will be in good company.
I am reminded of the The Boatlift⇒ film posted by Cindy Knoke (at CindyKnoke.com) with the very apt title of “The True Nature of Humanity”. It is the extraordinary story of those who came forward and helped people caught in the 9/11 disaster. And, as the boatman said: “I never want to say the words ‘I should have’. If I do it and I fail, I tried. If I do it and succeed, better for me. And, I tell my children, never go through life saying you should have. If you wanna do something, you do it”.
Now is the time to assist the surge forward by adding one small piece of effort. Just one thing, just do it and smile that you made a difference. And, good luck to you all. 🙂