The vestry House Museum history and artifacts.
There are always accusations of corruption. Both true and manufactured.
Edwin Alliot Verdon-Roe built and flew the first British working aircraft. It crashed, but only a little bit. He went on to produce the Avro 504, the most used British aircraft of of WWI. Initially WWI was called the Great War, they didn’t know there would be another.
The more modern style of bicycle had a chain and gearing so that the big front wheel of the penny-farthing was no longer needed. Bicycle clubs became very popular.
And, a pleasant garden out the back.
And, then there is a history of poverty and how it was dealt with.
Slowly, slowly it gets better. The desire to help keeps on being born, unstoppable and defiant. More at Wheels on Fire ⇐ .
The Boat Lift. Re-titled the the True Nature of Humanity by blogger Cindy Hope and worth knowing the truth it speaks.
And, be strong and be defiant and great each day new day as a gift.
The Royal Mail was first introduced by Henry VIII in 1516 and then made available to the public in 1635. Later it became part of the General Post Office (GPO) which included the telephone system. The Royal Mail has been integral to Britain’s growth and maintenance since early times. More information (prices and location) can be found on it’s website ⇒.
Since early times the mail had to be protected from thieves and pirates.
It continued through two world wars, delivering to military personnel as well as civilians
The Royal Mail introduced innovations like the pneumatic delivery system, where a cylinder was sent by compressed air along a tube. The Royal Mail system had more than 40 miles of tubes beneath London. And ~.
Just across the road and down the hill a little is the the old Royal Mail’s underground system, where you can have a pre-booked ride (please see the website link above).
And return pre-packed ready to mail home. 🙂
William Morris (1834 to 1896) ⇒ was a writer, illustrator, textile/wallpaper designer, a social activist and founder of the Kelmscott Press. He had a considerable influence upon design during and after the Victorian period and was a close associate of Rossetti, Webb, Ruskin and Burne-Jones.
The gallery is free to enter and contains additional works by Burne-Jones. It is not a huge collection but there is a lot of educational material and some artifacts with a real wow factor. In addition the gallery provides an online collection, exhibitions (Mary Morris from October 2017 to January 2018), workshops and masterclasses. Please see the gallery website ⇒ . The easiest way to get to the gallery is at the bottom of this page.
More of William Morris can be found at the Red House ⇐ in Bexleheath (south-east of London) where he founded the decorative arts company, Morris, Marshal & Faulkner & Co which included wives and other family members.
The above wallpaper was for Queen Victoria and required 66 separate woodcuts (that’s how it was done) for each section.
The stained glass is by Edward Burne-Jones
For a closer look please right-click on the image, select “open in a new tab” and then left click in the tab/image to enlarge.
Ruskin advised aspiring artists to copy a work by Albert Dürer “until you can’t look at anything else”. William Morris and Edward Burne-Jones spent hours with the above Knight, Death and the Devil.
The easiest way to get to the gallery is by traveling to Tottenham Hale Rail Station (or Blackhorse Road Staion) and then take the number 123 bus which stops right outside the gallery pictured below.
Behind the gallery is the gallery garden and further on is the very pretty Lloyd Park ⇐. Together with the free gallery it makes a very pleasant day out. 🙂
Edward Lynley Sambourne and his wife (Marion) took residence of 18 Stafford Terrace in Kensington in 1874. The Sambourne family and descendants maintained the Victorian style and content. The house was taken over and maintained by the Victorian Society and then the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea in 1989.
The website ⇒ is informative, interesting and shows much of Edward Lylynley Sambourne’s work as an illustrator. There are a variety of tours available and open house (when photography is allowed) on some afternoons. Hence the website is an essential read for those who wish to visit and may wish to note there are four flights of stairs without a lift.
The website is also used by Leighton House. An interesting place but photography is not allowed (2017).
For 40 years Edward Lynley Sambourne was notable contributor to the comedic and satirical magazine Punch ⇒ (its website includes a large gallery of cartoons). The house at 18 Stafford Terrace is full of drawings, artworks and some very fine stained glass. He also created the earliest draft drawings for the illustrated version of the Rev Charles Kingsley’s book the Water-Babies. More of Edward Lynley Sambourne’s work ⇒ as shown on Flickr.
The house and its atmosphere has been so carefully preserved that it is like walking back in time, although one can only enter the edge of each room. Enjoy ~ 🙂
. . and goodnight all. 🙂
14 pics. The Museum of London Docklands ⇒ is in the Docklands region (nearest rail being West India Quay on the Docklands Light Railway) and is all about the history of the Docklands as distinct from the more extensive history of London at the Museum of London ⇐ at 150 London Wall.
The Museum of London Docklands is full of historical information, is free to enter and non-commercial photography is allowed.
There is a lift that goes to the top floor, which is a good place to start. I do prefer stairs that go down.
The Sailors Walk
In Commemoration of the Great Strike Sept 1889 ⇒.
For a closer look of the history please click on the image and then again to enlarge.
There is an extensive area covering the war years during which the docks were a prime target..
London Docklands Now
34 pics. The Museum of London ⇒ is at 150 London Wall (as distinct from the Museum of: London Docklands ⇐). Inside is a quite extensive and interesting museum with a timeline that begins on the top floor, from prehistoric times to present day. The museum is free to enter and non-commercial photography is allowed.
The museum is a short walk along St Martin’s Le Grand from St Paul’s underground rail station (central Line) .
Educational sessions, including those for young students, are available.
There are a large number of prehistoric, bronze age, pre-Roman, Roman, post-Roman (Saxon) and Norman exhibits. Alongside are a number of educational placards and films. Too many items to show here and get to the exhibitions of later London. So, here is just a taste of early times.
When the Romans finally left, about 400 AD, England was mostly populated by Saxon settlers and invading Norseman/Danes (Vikings) in the north. The Saxons were weren’t necessarily all that war-like but spent most of their time farming. The Norseman were commonly seafaring traders, it is just that some of them were a bit cantankerous.
On the other hand (imported from Waltham Abbey and King Harold’s Day ⇐ ) :-
In 954 Alfred (the Great) became the first King of All England. By 6th January 1066 the position was taken up by Harold Goodwinson (Harold II). On 25th September 1066 Harold Goodwinson defeated the viking forces of Harald Hadrada and Tostig at Stamford Bridge in the north. Harold was then faced with a forced march of 241 miles to fend of the Norman invader, William (the Conqueror), in the south. By October 14th the Saxon forces were defeated and Harold killed. Thus began the Norman era and thence the reign of the Plantagenets and then the Tudors.
Within the old city walls, William the Conqueror should only be referred to as William. This is because he did not conquer London but instead gave it a charter.
To see the timeline click-on and then again to magnify. It surprised me to note that our Magna Carta (in 1215 a limited Bill of Rights) was signed at roughly the same time as Genghis Khan conquered Persia.
Between 1558 and 1603 was the great boom of wealth, culture and global influence of the Elizabethan era. The effect continued for some time after.
Sorry about the glare, I couldn’t find a way around it.
Britain and particularly London continued to advance in wealth and prestige :-
– although not for all:-
– for some there was debtor’s prison. For others there was stark poverty, starvation, disease with the work house as the only relief in later times. There is the Industrial Revolution and it’s long term impact at the London Science Museum⇐ and Wheels on Fire ⇐ (the struggle for fair play).
The Victorian Walk
This is a fascinating walk into the past, complete with atmospheric background sounds.
The 1920’s boom
At the mini cinema you can take a seat and watch an old newsreel.
But then there was the 1930’s depression, and then :-.
London and Britain itself were almost destroyed. It needed the backing (and loss) of Britain’s entire empire, with considerable determination and sacrifice to hold on. That effort stopped Hitler’s progress and provided a foot-hold for the USA to join us in the liberation of Europe. If Britain had not been able to provide that foot-hold, the consequences could have been very different
At the end of WWII, Britain was in dire straits. Rationing continued until 1953, eight years after the wars end. Austerity continued until the early 1960’s
Then things began to pick up. 6D is six old pence (when they were 240 to a UK pound).
Then London began to swing again with a great burst of original art, music and cultural evolution. Not just in London but all over Britain. We may not be so bright at the present but:-.
18 pics. Canterbury is famous for its antiquity, Canterbury Cathedral, numerous ancient buildings, the martyrdom of Thomas Becket, a destination for pilgrims, the oldest UK Church still in use (St Martins), Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, Rupert the Bear by Mary Tourtel and Smallfilms (Clangers and Bagpus and many others) by Oliver Postgate and Peter Firmin.
Canterbury is well worth a visit particularly as there is so much to see within walking distance. My own favourites were the Heritage Museum, The Beaney House (free) and Canterbury Cathedral.
⇐ Pilgrims Way is a walking route stretching all the all the way from Winchester, which is over a hundred miles away. Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales refers to the fictional stories told by a group of pilgrims on their way to Canterbury.
A shorter route is from Canterbury West Station which leads onto St Dunstans Street (turn right out of the station) and thence to St Peter’s Street (turn left – and about 5 minutes walk altogether).
Canterbury’s Shepherd Neame Pub
On St Dunstans Street one passes one of these, which speaks for itself. The traveller might note that “Bishops Finger” refers to an ale not an ancient form of acupuncture. 😀
A little further on, is the old town’s Westgate which houses a small museum⇒ and access to the view from the battlements.
This is the northern of three branches of the River Stour running through Canterbury. This branch runs under the Westgate. There are chauffeur driven Canterbury Westgate Punts ⇒ during the summer .
We are now on the other side of the Westgate with the Guildhall on the left. Turning around and walking down St Peter’s Street the road becomes traffic free and on the left is St Peter’s Lane and the church.
Canterbury’s St Peter’s Anglican Church
St Peter’s Anglican Church ⇒ has been in use for over 900 years and is open every day.
Canterbury’s Eastbridge Hospital of St Thomas
Further along, the road then becomes the High Street and on the right is the Hospital of St Thomas (Eastbridge). More pictures and information ⇒.
Opposite St Thomas’s is the Wildwood and access to Canterbury Historic River Tours ⇒ (not available in winter) beside the mid branch of the River Stour.
A little further along, on one’s right, is Stour Street and after about 4 minutes walk is the marvelous Heritage Museum ⇐. It is not open all year round so do check the website.
Canterbury’s Heritage Museum
Beside the museum is Water Lane which leads to a small footbridge that crosses a branch of the River Stour and on to Greyfriars Gardens. The gardens are beautifully serene and include free access to Greyfriars Chapel ⇒ . Opening times for the chapel are limited so please check the link.
Canterbury Punting Co ⇒ operate along this stretch of the Stour during the summer.
Returning to the High Street, a short walk south is the Beaney Institute.
Canterbury’s Beaney Instiute
The Beaney Institute is free to enter and provides a number of exhibits/events. More with pictures of the exhibits ⇐ .
A quick look back along the High St to the Westgate. Turn around again, continue along the High St and on one’s left is Mercery Lane which leads to the cathedral. On the opposite side of the High St is St Margarets Street and The Canterbury Tales Museum ⇐ where you can immerse yourselves in the sights, sounds and smells of medieval Britain. A little further along St Margaret’s Street one might catch an evenings Ghost Tour ⇒ (usually on a Friday or Saturday).
Alternatively, walk a little further along the High St and there is Butchery Lane with the Roman Museum on the right hand side.
Roman Museum ⇒ I wasn’t all that impressed for the cost but you can get a cheaper combined ticket with the more extensive Heritage Museum (although not open all year).
Turn left at the end of Butchery Lane and one comes to the War Memorial and the entrance to Canterbury Cathedral (on the right) on Burgate.
Canterbury Cathedral ⇐ with pictures of the extraordinary interior.
Canterbury has some interesting shops and plenty of inns and other eateries.
This is Bell and Crown which has plenty of seating outside and is on Sun Street (extending from Burgate). As you can see it is a friendly place (really) and I was pleased to find that it serves from a wholesome and enjoyable menu.
Canterbury’s St Augustines Abbey
Turning back along Burgate and continuing to the end, one then crosses a main road (Lower Bridge St) onto Church St which leads to Monastery St. To one’s left is Findons Gate and Lady Wootons Green (with statues). To one’s right is Longport and the entrance to St Augustines Abbey ⇐ museum and ruin (please see the link for the gate and green).
Longport continues on to the west and to North Holmes Road which leads to St Martins Church ⇒ . St Martins is the oldest working church in the UK and one can visit on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays (please check the link above). The second oldest (by a small margin) is All Hallows by the Tower ⇐ (London).
There is plenty more to see in Canterbury including Canterbury Castle ⇒ ruin. I hope you enjoyed your brief tour and thank you for visiting.