The Elfin Oak
From the North Gate of Kensington Gardens, just across from the station called Queensway, a traveler might proceed along the great path leading south. After but a short walk, can be found on the right, a small clock tower. Very close to this, and beside an outdoor purveyor of comestibles, the Elfin Oak will be found.
The remaining stump is of an Oak being 900 years of age. Carefully carved by Mr Ivor Innes in the year 1911 to reveal the elfin folk that were hidden within. Thereafter maintained by that same gentlemen for a further 40 years.
Later restored by the efforts of the inimitable Mr Spike Milligan and friends in 1966, the Elfin Oak is now protected by its own cage of steel.
Peeking into this little world, one might still see – Wookey the witch, with her three jars of health, wealth and happiness, Huckleberry the gnome, carrying a bag of berries up the Gnomes’ Stairway to the banquet within Bark Hall, and Grumples and Groodles the Elves being awakened by Brownie, Dinkie, Rumplelocks and Hereandthere stealing eggs from the crows’ nest. Or, these fine characters :-
. . . . and many more
A book, with the title “The Elfin Oak of Kensington Gardens”, was later crafted by Ivor and Elsie Innes and revealed that “for centuries now it has been the home of fairies, gnomes, elves, imps, and pixies. In the nooks and crannies they lurk, or peer out of holes and crevices, their natural windows and doorways. It is their hiding-place by day, their revelry place by night, and when the great moon tops the bare branchless tree the Elfin Clans come out to play and frolic in the moonlight.”